Pages

Wednesday 21 August 2013

Book Review - Eve (Eve #1) by Anna Carey



I had actually received this book as a gift, although the summary of this book didn't really spark my attention I decided to read it for lest I was being rude. I feel like I didn't start this book with the right mindset, I could have been more open minded but the book really, really surprised me. I honestly was not as bad as I thought it would be and it definitely garners more credit than most people give it.


The year is 2032, sixteen years after a deadly virus—and the vaccine intended to protect against it—wiped out most of the earth’s population. The night before eighteen-year-old Eve’s graduation from her all-girls school she discovers what really happens to new graduates, and the horrifying fate that awaits her. 

Fleeing the only home she’s ever known, Eve sets off on a long, treacherous journey, searching for a place she can survive. Along the way she encounters Caleb, a rough, rebellious boy living in the wild. Separated from men her whole life, Eve has been taught to fear them, but Caleb slowly wins her trust...and her heart. He promises to protect her, but when soldiers begin hunting them, Eve must choose between true love and her life.

The first few chapters are admittedly very good. The premise of the story and it's setting are really nice. I flew through the first few chapters in hours. But I felt like the author managed to take an amazing idea and spoil it a little. The rest of the book ended up being quite a drag and I forced myself to push through because I don't like leaving books hanging midway. I think she failed to develop the plot mid-way the book.

I didn't really connect with (or like) most of the characters. Of course I had a few favorites, but I felt like the main characters (namely Eve and Caleb) were really lacking in the "likeability" areas and that basically ruins the book for me, because I think characters are usually the most important factors of the novel. 

Everything being said, I will read the sequel "Once" because I think the series can still be saved and Anna Carey's basic, underlying idea is still awesome and hopefully her characters can grow into the shoes they have the potential to fill. Overall, the book is probably a 2.5/5 stars.

If you have any thoughts on this, please feel free to comment and don't forget to like this post! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment