Pages

Sunday 18 August 2013

Music Review - The Civil Wars


I am NOT a fan of the whole "Indie Folk" scene. I almost never listen to this type of music, but honestly, I think I've been making a huge mistake. The Civil Wars changed my mind. Their newest self-titled album is very refreshing from the generic mainstream pop songs I usually listen to.


The Civil Wars is comprised of the singer-songwriter duo of Joy Williams and John Paul White. A perfect match! I actually first heard of them when they featured on Taylor Swifts' Safe and Sound as part of the Hunger Games sound track. In this time they have managed to win two Grammys for Best Country Duo/Group Performance and Best Folk Album.

Joy Williams and John Paul White just harmonize so well together. They have such a soothing sound that relaxes me instantly. You could listen to them all day long without getting sick of their songs. They have a very "classic" feel, they are very timeless. You don't need to be a "grandpa" to enjoy their songs. I think they have a universal appeal to everyone.

My favorite songs would have to be The One That Got Away (Nooo, not the very popular Katy Perry song) and From This Valley. I never thought the day would come that I would enjoy country songs, but it DID!

So, for all of you that are skeptical or doubtful. Take it from me (a hardcore pop fan) that The Civil Wars will appeal to you! 

If you have any thoughts on this, please feel free to comment and don't forget to like this post! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment