Pages

Thursday 22 August 2013

Book Review - Once (Eve #2) by Anna Carey


"Don't judge a book by it's cover" is very hard not to do when the cover looks like THIS. I was skeptical about reading this book since Eve (Eve #1) wasn't a very good book in my opinion, but after seeing this cover I decided to give the series a second chance to redeem itself and I should say Anna Carey really stepped it up this time.

I'm glad she did so too because the book was much, much better this time around. The story had unforeseen twists and was fast-paced. The story was well detailed and the characters were much less irritating this time. I was bummed that my favorite character didn't get much time in this book though but I forgive that because I enjoyed the new supporting characters a lot.


When you're being hunted, who can you trust?

For the first time since she escaped from her school many months ago, Eve can sleep soundly. She's living in Califia, a haven for women, protected from the terrifying fate that awaits orphaned girls in The New America. But her safety came at a price: She was forced to abandon Caleb, the boy she loves, wounded and alone at the city gates.

When Eve gets word that Caleb is in trouble, she sets out into the wild again to rescue him, only to be captured and brought to the City of Sand, the capital of The New America. Trapped inside the City walls, Eve uncovers a shocking secret about her past--and is forced to confront the harsh reality of her future.

When she discovers Caleb is alive, Eve attempts to flee her prison so they can be together--but the consequences could be deadly. She must make a desperate choice to save the ones she loves . . . or risk losing Caleb forever.

In this breathless sequel to "Eve," Anna Carey returns to her tale of romance, adventure, and sacrifice in a world that is both wonderfully strange and chillingly familiar.

I loved the change of scenery from the "wild lands" and "outbacks" of the dystopian Americas to the City of Sand, a settlement for the rich and privileged who managed to survive the plague. I think Anna Carey really managed to capture the essence of post-apocalypse and what lengths people would go, to survive.

I'm pleased she managed to turn around the series and I can't wait to finish the final installment of the series. Also, kudos for ending on a marvelous cliffhanger (though it's driving me nuts) it's got me all ripe for the third book. I do hope they make this series into a movie!

If you have any thoughts on this, please feel free to comment and don't forget to like this post =)

No comments:

Post a Comment